Friday, March 2, 2012

INTERVIEW: Violet Pulp


You guys just finished recording some demos, how was it?

Jess: We are quite happy with the new songs that are on the demo. It's still early days. We are definitely looking forward to the finished products

Betty: …but think our first draft has turned out quite well & hope we will be able to use some of the songs on our next EP.

What inspired both of you to get together and start a band

Betty: I always really wanted to be in a band. 3 years ago my friend told me to stop playing "for the neighbors & birds" (quote) and to get onto a stage instead. I started looking for bands online and came across Jess on Musolist.

Jess: Before we formed Violet Pulp, I was happy just making demos on my own but eventually I realised that I needed more than that. Being in a band certainly helped both of us grow as musicians.

How do you guys usually approach live shows? Do you have any preparation rituals or warm ups?

Betty: I tend to wear something purple, use a particular nail polish and wear my gig shoes.

Jess: I tend to feel slightly nervous before gigs so I try to calm myself down by distracting myself. I would usually escape to my happy place before hopping onto the stage.

I really love your cover of 'I Shall Be Released', what was it that made you want to this song? Do you plan on doing more covers in the future?

Jess: We have always adored Dylan and 'I Shall Be Released' is one of our favourites.

We love doing covers. It is far more challenging for us to do covers since there are only two instruments to work with (guitar and drums) but we love to experiment and play our own interpretations of songs by other artists.

Betty: We are currently working on 'Summertime' the Gershwin classic & will also attempt PJ Harvey's 'Down By The Water'.

Who are your dream collaborators – alive or dead – and why?

Betty: I would love to collaborate with Joy Division – their music has had a huge influence on Violet Pulp.

Jess: George Harrison- I wouldn't mind experimenting with sitars and jingle jangle percussions

What are your thoughts about the place of local music in Sydney?

Jess: We have been fortunate enough to play in great venues in Sydney in the past few years, but we honestly wish there were more venues out there for local bands. Most venues these days are happy to hire a DJ instead of live bands, which is kind of disappointing.

Betty: Unfortunately it seems the live music scene is dying a slow death which makes us even more determined to be heard.

How would you describe the band?

Betty: post punk / psychedelic folk / experimental and everything in between . We don‟t limit ourselves to a particular sound but are inspired by many bands and genres.

Jess: we definitely have our own distinctive sound due to our vast musical influences.

Do you have a favourite musical time period? (60s, 70s etc)

Betty: I like the 1920's & 1960's.

Jess: I am personally fascinated by music from the 60s. I think that was the best decade for music and art.

What are excited about for the future?

Writing new songs, hopefully recording our single and EP soon, playing more shows. There are plenty of things to look forward to. This is just the beginning for Violet Pulp.


Hear more of Violet Pulp's music at http://www.triplejunearthed.com/VioletPulp